Karns Law Group
free initial consultation
888-KARNS-LAW | 401-239-1085

Workers' Compensation - What am I entitled to?

When you have a work-related injury, you are entitled to Workers' Compensation Benefits, but what are they?

The most important thing you are entitled to is medical benefits. The Workers' Compensation Insurance Company will have to pay for all medical treatment that is related to your injury so that you can get back on your feet and recover from your injury. You will not be responsible to pay for any medical treatment at all and you should not be charged a co-pay. This is true for all Doctor's visits, physical therapy, diagnostic testing such as X-Rays and MRIs and Emergency Room visits. Medical treatment can be very expensive so you must be sure that every provider you are seeing for your work injury is billing the workers' compensation insurer. Even if you are continuing to work or return to work, the insurer is still responsible for your medical bills.

If you are disabled from your job as a result of your injury, you are also entitled to a weekly check to replace your lost wages. However this check will not replace 100% of your wages. You are entitled to receive this check for up to 312 weeks if you are partially disabled.

Another benefit that you may be entitled to under the law that the insurance company may not tell you about is termed "Specific Compensation." This refers to money for scarring and loss of use. If you sustained a scar in a work-related incident or you have a scar from a surgery done to correct a work injury you may be entitled to money for that scar. If you have been left with a disfigurement, meaning something on your body does not look the same as before your injury, such as a bump or one calf is now smaller than the other, you are entitled to money for that disfigurement. The amount of the compensation you are entitled to for scarring and disfigurement is totally subjective and you should have the scar or disfigurement viewed by an experienced attorney who knows how to value it correctly.

If you have suffered an injury to your extremities (arms, hands, legs or feet) and your Doctor has assigned you a permanent impairment rating based on your injury, you are entitled to money for that.

If you suffer from a permanent partial disability you may also be entitled to vocational rehabilitation. This means that the insurer will have to pay for a program that simply helps you with a job search or provides you with schooling and retraining if you cannot return to your previous occupation.

To see if you are receiving everything you are entitled to, call the Workers' Compensation Attorneys at the Karns Law Group at (401) 841-5300 today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation Email Our Firm Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Offices

Providence Office
128 Dorrance Street
Suite 250
Providence, RI 02903

Phone: 401-239-1085
Map & Directions

Middletown Office
6 Valley Road
Middletown, RI 02842

Phone: 401-239-1085
Fax: 401-846-5999
Middletown Law Office Map