Karns Law Group
free initial consultation
888-KARNS-LAW | 401-239-1085

Traumatic Brain Injury - Specialists to Help the Victim

After suffering a traumatic brain injury there are many specialists that can help the victim once it is determined the extent of the injury and the progression of the recovery.


Initially it is important for the victim of the traumatic brain injury to get initial medical care. Following the emergency care following the injury that causes the traumatic brain injury a list of specialists that can be used depending on what the medical problems are is as follows:

• General Practitioner - The primary care physician of the victim is important as that doctor can interpret the initial emergency treatment and be the bridge between the brain injury victim and the appropriate specialist that he can refer the victim to.

• Neurologist - This is a physician that specializes in nervous disorders and brain injury helping to definitively diagnose the traumatic brain injury.

• Neurosurgeon - This is a physician who also specializes in disorders of the nervous system and brain injury that can treat the injury surgically if necessary.

• Neuropsychologist - This is a doctor that can assess the cognitive impairments caused by the traumatic brain injury by utilizing a series of tests and incorporating therapy.

• Physiatrist - This physician assesses the victim's physical condition and prescribes any necessary physical rehabilitation and therapy.

• Psychologist - This is a specialist of human behavior and can assess and treat problems including anxiety and depression caused by the traumatic brain injury.

• Psychiatrist - This is a medical doctor that can assess the same conditions as the psychologist and can prescribe medication.

• Speech Therapist - This is a therapist that treats the traumatic brain injury victim with therapy to help with cognition including language (speech, reading and writing) and to help with memory problems.

• Occupational Therapist - This is a therapist that helps the traumatic brain injury victim with everyday activities including physical, intellectual, emotional and vocational.

• Physical Therapist - This is a therapist that works with the physical condition and pain of the traumatic brain injury victim by utilizing physical therapy.


Many of the above listed medical doctors can prescribe medication depending on the needs of the traumatic brain injury victim, some of the medications are as follows:

• Anti-convulsant medications such as Neurontin helps suppress seizures.

• Anti-depressant medications such as Citalopram help with anxiety and depression.

• Pain management medications such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen help with headaches and joint pain.

• Motor system medications such as Tizanidine help with muscle spasms and muscle spasticity.

• Memory and cognitive medications such as Ritalin, Adderall and Provigil help treat deficits and improve memory and awareness.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Request A Free Consultation Email Our Firm Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Offices

Middletown Office
6 Valley Road
Middletown, RI 02842

Phone: 401-239-1085
Fax: 401-846-5999
Middletown Law Office Map

Wakefield Office
231 Old Tower Hill Road Suite 208
Wakefield, RI 02879

Phone: 401-239-1085
Wakefield Law Office Map

Providence Office
101 Dyer Street, Suite 3B
Providence, RI 02903

Phone: 401-239-1085
Providence Law Office Map